Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fruit Cocktail Cake

This is not the one that Kim makes. I lost the napkin with her recipe on it. So I will post hers on here as well. I came across this recipe and decided to give it a go.

I made this tonight to try it out. I thought it had great flavor and goes well with vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream. Very easy to make. For me...the coconut could be downsized to 1/2 cup. But the husband and kids liked the amount. So that will depend on you I guess.



1 1/2 cup of sugar
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 eggs
1 regular sized can fruit cocktail(half drained)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of nuts, chopped (optional)

Topping:

1 cube butter
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of evaporated milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of coconut

Combine sugar, flour, soda, salt, eggs and cocktail. Mix well. Pour into 9 x 13 inch greased pan. Combine brown sugar and chopped nuts. Sprinkle over top of cake. Bake at 325ºF. for 40 minutes. TOPPING: Combine butter, sugar and milk in pan; stir until it comes to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and coconut. Pour over hot cake.

By Moira

No comments: